Wednesday, 13 February 2013


I made a mug rug and I made a right haimes of it (Irish expression for making a mess of something)!

I got the dimensions right, completely made it from scraps - so far so good.  Where did I go wrong?  Machine embroidery appliqué!  I bought a lovely sweetheart pattern from Urban Threads.  I thought it would be perfect for a quick Valentines gift and the message in the heart "Meh" sums up how my man feels about Valentine’s Day.  Now he likes a cup of coffee and some dark chocolate to go with it so I thought I was onto a winner. 

Well I bought the design thinking it was straight embroidery not realising there was an appliqué part to it so, first time for everything, I started with great enthusiasm.  I found some pink fabric and started cutting but I made the heart a tad too small in one place.  Then the bobbin thread ran out in the middle of the M resulting in the white thread peeking through and then I didn't realise the lettering had two shades of red, one for shadow and one to stand out to create a relief.  I stitched them both with the same thread!  Doh!

So pleased as I was to have it complete (wonky as it was) in time for the 14th, and the fact that he had come home early and had seen me working on a heart shaped object, I decided not to wait for tomorrow but to give it to him for his desk in the front room.  Colour him un-impressed! 

Not liking the name "mug rug" he changed it to "Whiskey Mat" for his special Glenmorangie whiskey glass (that comes out of the press on occasions), thanked me for his gift and promptly pushed it to the back of his desk.  I'm hoping this might be a case of the cabled hat I made him (see earlier post).  Eventually when all the coasters are in the dishwasher he might just get around to using it! 

Now after all that I think I'll go and buy a card.  Maybe next year my Valentine's crafty endeavour will meet with more success.   Meh just about sums it up!  At least I'm being treated to our traditional Valentines night in tomorrow - a Chinese takeaway and a bottle of wine! 

Bounce part 1

I got my first commission!  Yeahhhh!

The in-laws were visiting and spotted some of the works in progress I've been playing with and Auntie Maura asked if I'd make her a quilt for a single bed.  I had been waiting to try out the pattern "Bounce" by Miss Rosie's Quilt Co. and knew this was my chance.  Of course I said yes.  Now I am new to quilting but am definitely up for this challenge. 

Bounce is a lovely pattern of stars, little or large, scrappy or one-material, with a lovely pieced border and completely adjustable in size. 

The pattern makes a 70" x 70" size.  For a single bed I decided to lose two stars from the side and add one more row to give a 4 x 7 configuration that should measure out at 53" x 78.5".  The pattern gives helpful hints on the last page to adjust sizes.  Each square can be made with a layer cake and some background fabric or if preferred FQ or yardage if on hand. 

As I was going to be buying fabric I checked colour preferences with Maura.  She liked a 4 pointed diamond quilt I had and the colours in that were very spring and modern.  Immediately I ordered a Vintage Modern layer cake but dismay!  The Quilt ship was all out so I picked Coquette by Chez Mois for Moda.  The colours are beautifully vibrant:  pinks, blues, lavenders, yellows and light greens.  Very spring like and perfect for this time of year.

There is an option in the pattern for small stars or large or a mix of the two.  I decided on the large scrappy squares preferring to mix the material within each colour-way.  I cut the squares from the print in one big cutting session.  Look at all those squares, aren't they soooo cute!

The block construction is easy enough, bit time consuming so it is important to chain piece and after a bit you get into the rhythm of it.  It’s really quite fun.  Once the individual squares are made the block is a 9 patch and goes together very quickly.

Here's an un-pieced green one and a pieced yellow one.  5 done, 23 more to go!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...