Monday 17 February 2014

Design Wall Monday - February Bee blocks


Seeing as February is a short month I thought I'd better crack on get some Bee blocks done.  Aylin who blogs at aylin-nilya picked a lovely 4.5" block, very like a rail fence block but with low volume on either side of a teal/lime stripe with some hot colours like orange and pink to mix it up a bit!

Her idea came from a quilt design by Cottiello called Domino Quilt.

I really like Aylin's colour choices.  She wanted bright and I think they just pop off the design wall, and really easy to do, no matching seams on our end as Aylin wanted them stitched together in a straight line.

Imagine rows of these.  I think this will be a lovely quilt top when its complete!

So on a roll I kept going with Aurifil Spool Blocks for Cindy.  These are for the Modern Irish Bee hosted on the Modern Quilt Guild of Ireland page.  I love these blocks.  They were great fun and really do look like spools of Aurifil thread.  The tutorial for these is here


Cindy gave us a choice of what to make so I opted for 1 large, 3 medium and 5 small.  All the block colours came from scraps and the red for the spools was sent to us by Cindy to tie the whole design together.


Chain piecing them made the process nice and quick.


I really like this pattern of blocks, so looking forward to seeing the finished quilt.  I seem to have gotten carried away with the yellow.  Cindy wanted monochromatic and it was the biggest piece I could find for the large block.  It looks great against the red and so cheery!


The beautiful morning sunshine gave lovely light for the photographs and my helper Charly abandoned her usual hidey hole on top of my stash box for the windowsill to keep an eye on outside.  Don't ask me how she got up there!


Linking up to Design wall Monday and
stitch by stitch

5 comments:

  1. How cute is Charly?

    Your Aurifil blocks are gorgeous! Thanks so much for making them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great spool blocks! And your dog is enchanting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the spools. It looks like it will be a fun finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the spool blocks! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charly looks like she's asking you for a walk in the sunshine :) Your bee blocks are lovely and I especially like the spool ones - they look fun.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! I reply by email or within the thread if you are a noreply blogger so check back. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...