Wednesday 12 February 2014

WIP Wednesday - Basset Hound Wall hanging

You know when you have lots on your to do list, like finishing that quilt that's been hanging around since last year, taking off a border on another because you've changed your mind, darning a hole in a sweater and cleaning the bathroom, but you decide to ignore all that and do something just a bit more fun?


I decided to try this project I'd picked from Annie's Scrap Happy Quilting.  It involves stitching the outline of an elephant with a running stitch and using scraps backed with fusible web.  First, iron them onto the background leaving 1/8" to 1/4" between them and then stitch down afterwards.  I think it looks like a really fun project so last week, I pulled some Kona Snow for a background and instead of an elephant, I traced a Basset Hound shape (I hope you can see the outline ok - orange perle cotton on white is hard to photograph in winter lighting!) 


I had great fun trying to sketch Wilbur and though I was happy with his head I struggled with his body.  So I looked up Basset Hound silhouette and found lots of images to use for inspiration. 


I'm going to use scraps I have left over from this quilt I made in 2012 (this is my very first proper quilt made doing Whipstitch's e-course). 


I think the warm mustards, reds, pinks and browns are very Basset friendly and Wilbur our Basset is a Tri-colour so he has quite a bit of black in him that I think will be cool with blue!



Let's hope I do him justice.  Somehow I don't think he'll mind either way.

 

 Linking up to
WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced
Sew Fresh Quilts

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this idea! I have never seen the elephant image, but did see a Scotty dog done in this style in rainbow colours. I think Wilbur will look great in those leftover scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweetheart Basset. Can't wait to see him in fabric form!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in love with Wilbur. This is going to be so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a basset hound many years ago called Toffee. What a beautifully relaxed breed they are, I'm sure Wilbur will love the new design and colours

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your basset is beautiful and I'm sure he will approve of the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cutie! Love the bassett and the elephant is amazing so it should look great.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! I reply by email or within the thread if you are a noreply blogger so check back. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...